Monday, March 12, 2012

TLT5 Mountain: race modification


I got these new TLT5 Mountain boots, size 28.... They are the TF version that comes with the Palau French liners. Beautiful, and light, they ski quite well too. In fact, with the removable tongues I overpower my seven summits (my heavy skis). To lighten up the boots, I first removed the power straps: they add more cluster than they are worth. Next was the non-removable plastic tongue: This is irreversible change so I had to think about it a bit. 


The "non-removable" tongue restricts forward motion, and it adds little forward support for skiing. Without it, the skinning comfort improves significantly! And I don't mind skiing softer boots. So far I am quite satisfied with the change. 

I also replaced the cable and the Alu buckle with a prusek and a velcro strap. The verdict is still out for the velcro. It saves 10g and it doesn't help much with anything but removing bulk. 
So far my TLT5s (shell 307mm) weigh 1055 grams. Compare that to my old and trusty F1's, also highly modified (shell 310mm), that are 1220 gr. 

Details:


1. Power strap: This is easy but still requires removal of a rivet. I used set of pliers. Some care is needed to avoid damage to the plastic. I would assume that putting the straps back is easy.
2. Partial removal of "non-removable" tongue: I used sheet metal cutter. It worked great.
I considered the full removal as well, i.e. cutting at the base of the "active-flex" but decided to make a conservative move at first. I can still use the removable tongues if I need the extra stiffness. Full removal will require installation of material to prevent snow from coming inside the boot. I may do this in the future.
3. Cable of upper buckle: It requires breaking of a riveted rod (40 mm long). This is semi-reversible move. I looked up McMaster-Carr to make sure I can replace rivet if needed. So far I don't think I need that. But keep in mind weight savings are minimal here. I like the "feel" of the spectra cord better. Its not as snappy, and easier on the fingers. I used cord on my Scarpa F1's for one season and liked it. It will wear faster but its easier to replace.
4. Velcro instead of the Alu buckle: easy change with one torx screw. I just wanted to try it out. It works, though If I want it more permanent I would place two screws to hold the velcro.   The original buckle works nice with the spectra prusek!


Other thoughts
Before purchasing the TLT5 Mountain, I had Scarpa F1's for 4 seasons, and I liked them a lot (still do). I considered buying the Scarpa Alien. The Alien has some awesome features such as the improved upper latch system (which I think is the best), and it is silly light at 900 gr (size 29). But I didn't like the fit and the liners. To make them work for me I needed to replace the stock liners. I am not sure if it is the lack of flex zone or rocker, but walking with the Aliens felt awkward. 







1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    I know this post is old, but I'm considering doing the same mod on cutting the non-removable tongue. Can I ask how your experience was skiing after you did the mod? Did the boot get a lot softer or was the increased skinning performance worth it?

    ReplyDelete